We’re Looking for a Public Relations & Social Media Intern!
About Grady Britton:
Grady Britton is a full-service brand agency based in Portland, Oregon. Our specialty lies in building brands that do more; creativity inspired by business goals and a will to be great. Grady Britton is a certified B Corporation. This certification means GB voluntarily invests in meeting significantly higher standards of sustainability, governance and giving back to the community in our daily operations. It stands for “Business as a Force for Good” versus a belief that business exists only to generate profit. Now more than ever, we want our time and talent applied toward greater purpose. Our mantra, “Leave today better than yesterday” is a simple North Star of an idea that brings us in everyday: improving, inspiring, challenging, creating for better. Our community, relationships, strategies, processes, the work— and especially, ourselves. It’s what motivates GB’s difference: building business for brands that put people first.
At Grady Britton we are committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and team members. We embrace diversity and want applicants of diverse backgrounds so our team represents a variety of perspectives and skills. We believe the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
About the Team:
The Grady Britton Public Relations team is part of a modern creative agency that works with clients with a Will to Be Great. The Public Relations and Social Media Intern works directly with the PR team members and provides support across all PR client accounts. This important member of the PR team is proficient in AP Writing and using media relations tools, and plays a big role as part of the agency’s integrated approach to marketing. The PR intern reports to the PR Director and has accountability to other team members in the department.
About the Position:
As the Public Relations and Social Media Intern at Grady Britton, you will learn how to work in an integrated full-service agency setting, providing day-to-day support on client accounts across a variety of categories, including food and beverage, hospitality, financial services, technology, nonprofits and more.
You’ll work closely with and shadow energetic, passionate coworkers in various departments, and be part of an integrated agency that puts people first. You will work with brands making the world a better place. The bulk of your responsibility will be supporting your team every day, with a can-do attitude. You’ll learn from experienced industry leaders who believe in and trust your talent and who will challenge you to become the best professional you can be.
- Building and maintaining media lists on behalf of our clients
- Monitoring and researching topical news subjects
- Drafting and editing copy for media materials
- Training on media outreach and etiquette
- Attending virtual editorial deskside chats with media influencers
- Assisting with media relations and social media projects
- Tracking press coverage and generating coverage reports using media tools
- Creating and archiving earned media clippings
- Reviewing and recommending incoming HARO queries
- Assisting with Grady Britton social media posts, blog posts and agency PR efforts
- Engaging on social media, on behalf of Grady Britton
- Learning/training and becoming familiar with resources and tools like Cision, Meltwater, Sprout
- Conducting research, as needed for clients
Education & Skills Required:
- Actively pursuing (or recently earned) Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Public Relations, Communications or related field from an accredited institution
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong organizational skills
- Candidate must be a self-starter and comfortable navigating ambiguity
- Proactive, independent thinker with high energy/positive attitude; willingness to take on a variety of projects and tasks of varying types with equal enthusiasm
- Ability to interact effectively with peers in a team-oriented operating structure, while also taking the initiative and working independently when necessary
- Ability to prioritize and shift between subject matter and tasks throughout the day with fluidity
- Coursework or work experience with a strong focus in marketing, communications, journalism and/or public relations
- Demonstrated leadership through work experience, campus activities and/or community involvement
- Understanding of AP Style, and strong writing and grammatical abilities
- Proven proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word and PowerPoint) and/or Google Drive
- This is a paid internship.
- The term of this internship is February 2021 through May 2021 and will be conducted remotely.
How to apply:
Please submit the following information to [email protected]:
- Cover letter — tell us who you are and why you’re interested in the internship.
- Three Writing samples — should include coursework specific to public relations, such as news releases, PR campaigns, etc.
Incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Thank you – we look forward to hearing from you!